Former telephone exchange and offices. Circa 1900.
Brick and terracotta with plain tiled roof.
Eclectic style, with main block of 3 storeys, and 3 narrow bays
with flanking towers, all vertical spaces elongated.
Doorway to right with terracotta scroll and
lettering over given name, "Telephone Buildings". Ornate
6-panelled door with stained glass to overlight in segmentally
pedimented head carried on bulbous recessed columns with
rusticated surrounds and high bases.
Central segmentally arched window with mullioned
and transomed oriel bay over. Balustraded parapet above and 3
round-arched upper windows. Outer first-floor windows, of 2
mullioned and transomed lights, have shallow pedimented heads with
Moulded terracotta architrave to lower left hand
window. Moulded string course and eaves band. Towers have
decorative terracotta panels and corbel table and bell-cast tiled
roofs and leaded turrets carried on bulbous balusters. Central
dormer in roof of 3-lights with pediment.
Wrought-iron balustrading forms ridge cresting.
Lower block adjoins to right, 2 bays, with coped gable and
segmentally arched 3-light window. Doorway to right with
terracotta moulding and pediment over.