Stoke-on-Trent - photo of the week
Marker at the corner of Greasley Road and Eaves Lane, Bucknall
corner Greasley Road and Eaves Lane, Bucknall
photos: Feb 2007
the marker on Eaves Lane
Bird holding a stylised Fleur de Lys
underneath appears to be the date: 1882 and the initials SOI
"Eaves is an adjoining hamlet to Bucknall, occupying the hilly ground to
the north-east, but is now united with Bucknall for all civil purposes,
and the two townships are together stated at 2586 acres. The surface is
principally occupied for dairies and grazing. A principal estate in Eaves
is called The Ash, and in the Ecclesiastical Survey, 36 Hen. VIII.,
of the revenues of the church of Stoke, Asche is mentioned as one
of the places paying tithe to that Rectory, but Eaves is therein wholly
omitted, from which we might be induced to infer that the more ancient
name of this hamlet was Ash, and that Eaves has been
substituted in modern times."
John Ward - The Borough of Stoke-upon-Trent. p528
"Bucknall is situated about a mile and a half east of Hanley. Eaves was once an adjoining hamlet to the north-east. The area, formerly predominantly rural with scattered early coal-workings, is now a largely residential suburb of Hanley......
The main estate in Eaves was called The Ash and a large house called Ash Hall was built on a site overlooking Bucknall by Job Meigh, a local landowner. It was considered to have ‘every purpose of domestic comfort, very few modern houses will bear comparison’."
Staffordshire Past Track
White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire - 1851 .........
"BUCKNALL-CUM-BAGNALL, with the EAVES and UBBERLEY, form a district rectory, ....., though they maintain their poor jointly with the rest of the parish of Stoke-upon-Trent. They comprise about 4200 acres of land, extending from 1 to 4 miles E. and N.E. of Hanley, bounded by the Trent and the Cauldon canal....
½ mile from Hanley; 374 in Bagnall; 382 in the Eaves, 3 miles E. of Hanley; and 214 in Ubberley.....
....In 1827, Wm. Willet, died at the Eaves..."
From: A History of the County of Stafford: Volume 8 (1963)
view of the marker at the corner Greasley Road and Eaves Lane, Bucknall