Stoke-on-Trent - photo of the week

contents: 2009 photos

click for

Advert of the Week
Potworks of the Week

Times Square, Longton


Times Square, Longton
Times Square, Longton
the road off to the right is Market Street, to the left is the Crown & Anchor Hotel
and the railway line is the Crewe to Derby line

photo: c.1968  Ken & Joan Davis


"Longton and Lane-End are two townships, or liberties, forming one flourishing market town now commonly called Longton, and situated at the southern extremity of the Potteries, five miles SE of Newcastle-under-Lyme, and six miles SSE of Burslem. 

This rapidly improving town is extensively engaged in the china and earthenware manufacture, and is pleasantly situated in the bosom and on the sides of the valley of a small rivulet. It is crossed by the North Staffordshire Railway, which has a station, carried on arches over the lower part of the town, constructed in 1848. The town is in the parish and parliamentary borough of Stoke-upon-Trent. Including its southern suburbs in Blurton and Normacot, it has now about 16,000 inhabitants."

William White, Sheffield. "1851, History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire"   

"The North Stafford Railway Company has two stations in the borough, and the main-line service is in direct communication with Derby and Crewe. The Potteries Electric Traction Company has termini on three of the principal roads connecting with the country districts, and an extension of the system to the Meir and Blythe Bridge was sanctioned some years ago."

1907 Staffordshire Sentinel 'Business Reference Guide to The Potteries, Newcastle & District'

Postcard of Times Square

The Crown & Anchor Hotel (now Crown Hotel) is to the right of the picture

The church (St. John the Baptist Church Lane End) 
to the left demolished in 1979 


Stafford Coats of Arms on Longton railway bridge

Stafford Coats of Arms on Longton railway bridge
On either side of the railway bridge pillar at Times Square, Longton.

The photos shows a relief shield with the Stafford Coat of arms.
The shield is charged with two Stafford Knots, a representation of a four towered castle and a lion.
(The North Staffordshire Railway Company also made use of these arms in their badge)


contents: 2009 photos