Advert of the Week
Potworks of the Week
Catholic Church, St.
Augustine, Meir, Stoke-on-Trent
A church dedicated to St. Augustine of
Canterbury was opened at Christmas 1934
Statue of St. Augustine, Sandon Road, Meir, Stoke-on-Trent
St. Augustine's Catholic Church
Rev Fr Walsh of
St Gregory’s Longton bought the property known as
"Highfields" in 1934. Rev Fr O’Connor, who was a curate
at Longton, became the first parish priest and the first Mass
celebrated was Midnight Mass in the stable on 25th December 1934.
St. Augustine's R.
C. Primary School was built in 1937 and the school hall was used
as the church until 1949. During the 1939-45 war the school hall
was also used as an entertainment centre. Dancing, whist drives,
bingo and concerts were organised for the parish and as a source
of revenue for the parish. From 1937 until 1949 the school was in
full use seven days a week. As a school in the daytime and to host
various events in the evening until 11.30 p.m. Then everything had
to be cleaned up in preparation for either school or Sunday Mass.
There was no evening Mass at that time so this work had to be done
by the parishioners and a very hard working parish priest. In
1949, the then new parish priest Rev Fr McKenna added a Nissan hut
to the stable buildings to enlarge the capacity for the
congregation. After 1949 the school hall continued to be used for
any entertainment event and was always known as
of the present church building commenced in May 1957 when the
foundation stone was laid. The main building was completed in
September 1958 and the sacristy/chapel was added later in 1959.
Every effort was made to reduce the debt on the church and
eventually the church was consecrated in 1971. The parish had five
priests in the first twelve years. Rev Canon McKenna served as
parish priest from 1946 until 1966 when Rev Fr Oddie succeeded him.
Rev Fr Oddie was parish priest for a period of twenty-eight years
until he retired due to ill health in 1994. Our parish priest was
Rev Fr Anwyl from November 1994 until August 1998. Rev Fr Foley was
appointed to the parish later the same year. Rev Fr Jan Nowotnik,
the present priest, was appointed in 2003.
present church, built of pale yellow brick and designed by Messrs. Sandy and
Norris of Stafford, was opened in 1957.
Augustine's Catholic Church
above the windows