The statue of James Brindley stands
on a tall square-sectioned plinth, facing the canal he was
responsible for building. He is shown in contemporary
eighteenth-century dress with his right hand resting upon a
theodolite, an instrument he would have used when carrying out his
work of surveying land for the canals. His left arm is bent at the
elbow and tucked behind his back. Compared to James Butler's statue
of James Brindley by the canal in Coventry, this figure is shown in
a very wooden stance.
The commissioning of the statue was
the result of the efforts of a group of enthusiasts who set up the
James Brindley Memorial Fund to raise the money for its erection.
About the subject:
James Brindley (1716-72) was an
engineer and canal builder. Born in Thornsett, Derbyshire, he was
apprenticed to a millwright, and contrived a water engine for
draining a coalmine (1752).
Francis Egerton, 3rd Duke of
Bridgewater, employed him to build the canal between Worsley and
Manchester (1759), a difficult enterprise only completed in 1772.
He was employed during the 1760s on
the building of the Coventry Canal Basin. He also commenced the
Grand Trunk Canal, and completed the Birmingham, Chesterfield, and
other canals. He was illiterate, solving most of his problems
without writings or drawings.