Stoke-on-Trent - photo of the week

contents: 2010 photos

click for

Advert of the Week
Potworks of the Week

Market Square, Hanley


Market Square, Hanley c.1829
Market Square, Hanley mid 1830's


This c.1829 drawing was by a Mr. F. E. Watts, Architect of Hanley.

On the right is the Manchester and Liverpool District Bank which was built in 1833. Next to the bank and closer to the viewer is a chemist. 

Still on the right hand side just past the bank is The Grapes public house, the two story building past The Grapes was the original Angel which was rebuilt in the 1880's.

To the left is the Golden Lion public house and further up on the left is the Sealion public house.

Behind the Sealion is the parish church of St. John the Evangelist, sometime after this picture was drawn the clocks were moved and re-installed in the bell chamber ventilation panels, also the height of the pinnacles was reduced.  

"HANLEY is a large and modern market town, and chaperly, in the parish and borough of Stoke, about one mile and a half from that town, and rather more than two east by north from Newcastle; situate near to the turnpike road leading from the latter place to Leek, and close to the Grand Trunk canal: the exportation, by means of this navigation, of earthenware to Liverpool, Hull, the Metropolis, &c., is of such an extent, that a company is established for the sole purpose of carrying that article.

The principal part of the town is on an elevated site; the streets are not regularly disposed, but many of the houses are well built. The police of this town, like Stoke, is under the control of commissioners; and a chief bailiff is annually elected from among the most respectable inhabitants, whose duties are of the same nature as those exercised by the bailiff of Stoke. The lord of the manor holds a court baron once a year; the crown (as possessor of the duchy of Lancaster), holds, by its officer, a similar court once within the same period; and another court, in which debts under forty shillings are recoverable, sits once a fortnight. 

The church, or rather chapel of ease, is a commodious structure of brick, erected in 1788, with a square tower one hundred feet in height, containing a fine set of bells; the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the trustees of the chapel. Dissenters of various denominations have numerous places of worship here; and there are British and national schools, well supported by voluntary contributions. 

A mechanics' institute is established in the town; and near it is that excellent institution, the North Staffordshire Infirmary. In 1812 an act was obtained for enlarging and regulating the market, and other specific purposes; and among the improvements which have consequently been effected is the erection of a very convenient meat-market. The act authorizes markets to be held on Wednesday and Saturday; the latter, which is the principal, is abundantly supplied with provisions of all kinds : large markets or fairs for cattle are held four times a year."

- Staffordshire and the Potteries



Market Square, Hanley, March 1929
Market Square, Hanley, March 1929
both of these pictures appeared in the Sentinel Newspaper March 1929

This photograph, taken almost 100 years later, shows many of the original buildings - including the bank, the Grapes and St. John's church. 

The Angel was rebuilt in the 1880's and the indoor market hall on the opposite side of the High Street was opened in 1849. 

Note the tram lines which are laid along the High Street, which was opened up towards Hanley Upper Green after the works in the 1830's picture had been demolished.



contents: 2010 photos