Stoke-on-Trent - photo of the week
Cobridge Free School
Cobridge Free School - built by subscription in 1766 as a grammar school
the school was located at the foot of Sneyd Street
picture: E. J. D. Warrillow
the commemorative plaque, situated in the centre of the road at the
junction of Sneyd Street, Elder Road and Leek New Road, Cobridge.
"..... the Cobridge Free School [was] built by subscription in 1766 as a grammar school. The site of this school is today marked by a lamp standard, bearing a commemorative plaque, situated in the centre of the road at the junction of Sneyd Street, Elder Road and Leek New Road, Cobridge. (A modern lamp post replaced this old lamp and standard in 1958 and only the inscribed plinth remains.)
It comprised two dwelling houses on the bottom storey, and the school, capable of accommodating 120 scholars, occupied the full length of the upper storey. The school, which became somewhat dilapidated, was repaired in 1821, at a cost of £30. Here a useful school was conducted for many years and pupils paid from 2d. to 6d. a week for their education.
The school received no endowment other than the original subscriptions and the master received his salary from the small sums provided by the fees of the pupils. By about the year 1850 it had ceased to be used as a school and housed two families.
The building was put to many uses and between 1860 and 1896, the old school —by then in a state of decay:—had been occupied by cobblers, barbers and fishmongers, at a nominal rent paid to the apparent owners.
Efforts were made to preserve the old school building, which was complete with a bell cupola and bell, but after purchase by the Burslem Town Council for £150 (which included the land) it was demolished in 1897."
Warrillow 'A Sociological history of Stoke-on-Trent'
site of the old school house