Stoke-on-Trent - photo of the week
Downing - brick manufacturers
Brampton Hill House, The Brampton, Newcastle-under-Lyme
Brampton Hill House
- former offices of Downing - brick manufacturers - The Brampton, Newcastle-under-Lyme
currently  occupied by Synectica Solutions
photos: April 2009
in the grounds Downings built these sculptures as examples of the versatility of brick
From the mid-19th century
the high ground known as The Brampton was developed as the main
residential quarter for the professional classes of
Newcastle-under-Lyme, and many of the villas then built in spacious
grounds still survive, though not now occupied in most instances as
John Jones was a railway contractor who was working on the new North Staffordshire Railway branch line to Newcastle-under-Lyme which opened in 1852. John Jones bought 7 acres of land on the west side of the Brampton and built a couple of large houses with substantial grounds.
One of these houses was Brampton Hill which was built in 1853.
The house was purchased around 1854 by Joseph Cooper an Ironmaster and Aldermaster of Newcastle Borough.
By 1895 it was occuped by James Lovatt a army clothing manufacturer ( who was a subscriber to the 'Collections for a History of Staffordshire', edited by the William Salt Archaeological Society - 1895 - he still occupied the house in 1907.
At some time in the 20th C the house was used as the headquarters of the Downing Brick Company.
Currently  occupied by Synectica Solutions.
History of the County of Stafford: Volume 8;
a complex helix design in brick
1898 map showing Brampton Hill (red box)
the blue box is The Firs which is now Newcastle Borough Museum and Art Gallery
section from 2007 Newcastle Council conservation area map
showing Brampton Hill (red box)
location of Brampton Hill on the corner of The Brampton and The Hollies
Google Maps 2010
making in Stoke-on-Trent and district