Stoke-on-Trent - photo of the week


contents: 2011 photos


click for
previous
photos

Advert of the Week
Potworks of the Week


Grave of Thomas Hulme in Burslem Cemetery

Thomas Hulme was born on 15 August 1830. He began work as a clerk for John Wedgwood's Woodland Street Works, Tunstall. He then obtained employment in the offices of James Maclntyre and Co. Ltd., Washington Works, Burslem, of which he became one of the owners and a partner of William Woodall. He retired from business in 1880.

 

 

 

the memorial of Thomas Hulme's grave - Burslem Cemetery
the memorial of Thomas Hulme's grave - Burslem Cemetery

 

 

Thomas Hulme

"He loved Burslem  his native town and ever sought its welfare"

 

HULME, Thomas (1830-1905), earthenware manufacturer, Burslem.

"Thomas Hulme was born on 15 August 1830. He began work as a clerk for John Wedgwood's Woodland Street Works, Tunstall. He then obtained employment in the offices of James Maclntyre and Co. Ltd., Washington Works, Burslem, of which he became one of the owners and a partner of William Woodall. He retired from business in 1880.

He was elected to Burslem School Board and served as chairman for ten years. He was twice mayor of Burslem, in 1882 and in 1905, and represented the town on Staffordshire county council.

He served as president of the Burslem Tonic Sol-Fa Society and was organist at Hill Top Methodist Sunday School for 40 years. He was one of the compilers of the Methodist Free Church Tune Book in 1893.

In 1894, on the occasion of the visit of Princess Louise and her husband, the Marquess of Lome, to Burslem, Thomas Hulmegave to the town his collection of Old Wedgwood ware (now in the City Museum). Princess Louise unveiled his portrait, painted by William Mainwaring Palin, who had been trained in the Burslem School of Art. The portrait is now in the City Museum.

In 1904 Thomas Hulme gave the site for a new school of art, next to the Wedgwood Memorial Institute, at a cost of 5,000.

He lived at The Mount, Knutton Lane, Wolstanton, and for a few years before his death, at Woodleigh, Porthill Bank, Longport. He died, unmarried, on 26 August 1905."

Oldham; Staffs. Advertiser 20 October 1894; Staffs. Sentinel 10 October 1907.

People of the Potteries


the memorial of Thomas Hulme's grave - Burslem Cemetery
the memorial of Thomas Hulme's grave - Burslem Cemetery

Unusually designed large monumental stone, structured of glazed tiles. 
The epitaph is formed in the glazed tiles, however, some are missing.
Inlays of the "Wedgwood Memorial Institute", and the "Hill Top Chapel Burslem", 
also a figurine is included.



Sacred to the memory / of / Thomas HULME /
born August 15th 1830. /
died August 26th 1905 /
the memory of the just is blessed.

 


Inlay of the "Wedgwood Memorial Institute"
Inlay of the "Wedgwood Memorial Institute"

Thomas Hulme gave the site for a new school of art, opposite to the Wedgwood Memorial Institute in 1904 - the year before his death

"The late Mr. Thomas Hulme, who took a great interest in the Wedgwood Institute, gave a site opposite the Institute for a new School of Art, and this is to be opened in the present year."

1907 Staffordshire Sentinel 'Business Reference Guide


Inlay of the "Hilltop Chapel, Burslem"
Inlay of the "Hilltop Chapel, Burslem"

Thomas Hulme was president of the Burslem Tonic Sol-Fa Society and the organist at Hill Top Methodist Sunday School for 40 years. 
He was one of the compilers of the Methodist Free Church Tune Book in 1893


He loved Burslem / his / native town /
and / ever sought / its / welfare.

Organist / of / Burslem / Sunday / 
School / for / 40 years.

Chairman of the / School Board /
for 10 years.

Member / of / the / Staffordshire / 
County Council / ? years.

? / 20 ? / and / twice Mayor /1882 / & / 1905

"they rest from / their labours /
and / their works do / follow them".


"The area covered by the local board was incorporated as the borough of Burslem in 1878, with a council of 6 aldermen and 18 councillors, 6 for each of the three wards (North, South, and East).

At its first meeting the council elected Thomas Hulme, the last chairman of the local board, as mayor, and set up eight regular committees in place of the previous six: a watch committee consisting of the whole council; finance; town hall and fire brigade; sanitary; highways, lighting and improvement; gas; Wedgwood Institute; cemetery."

Burslem: Local government, economic history and social life', A History of the County of Stafford: Volume 8 (1963)


This plaque on the Burslem School of Art reads:
This plaque on the Burslem School of Art reads:

'The land upon which this building was erected 
was given by T. Hulme Esq Mayor. JP. CC.
Mayor 1882 and 1904

W. Grant & Sons. Builders'

 

 


contents: 2011 photos


 


related pages

Burslem Cemetery - Burslem Cemetery opened in 1879 and covers approximately 11.4 hectares (about 28 acres) when it was opened it was intended to be a "a recreation park, to be used for walking, riding and driving" as well as a cemetery and at least a third of the land was taken up with the lodges, chapel, walks & drives.

Burslem School of Art, designed by A. R. Wood and was built during 1905-7. The site had previously been occupied by an old manufactory belonging to Wood and Baker. It was donated by Thomas Hulme in 1904 for the sole purpose of erecting a much-needed art school.


also see..

Advert of the Week
Potworks of the Week