Stoke-on-Trent - photo of the week
Barracks and Public Gymnasium, Newcastle Street, Dalehall, Burslem
Burslem Barracks and Public Gymnasium - opened in 1902
- now the City Gymnastics Centre -
photos: Aug 2008
VOLUNTEER BATTALION NORTH STAFFORDSHIRE REGIMENT (C COMPANY).
"Stoke-on-Trent Gymnastics Centre is North Staffordshire’s premier gymnastics venue catering for everyone from Pre School upwards. Home to the successful Stoke Gymnastics Club, the centre caters solely for gymnastics and boasts a range of fixed equipment.
Children showing enhanced ability and potential are guided into one of the two squads. Gymnasts are trained with the goal of competing at regional, national and even international levels. Normally children enter squads through recreational classes, but in special circumstances, we allow existing gymnasts from other clubs to enter squads directly."
date stone 1902
entrance with the date stone and crests
to the left of the entrance
the Prince of Wales feathers - the badge of the Prince of Wales - three feathers emerging from a coronet
ICH DIEN - "I Serve"
The Stafford Knot
In the roundel is a coal miners pick axe
|The Prince of Wales's (North Staffordshire) Regiment was formed
in July 1881-
- the 1st Volunteer Battalion and the 2nd Staffordshire (Staffordshire Rangers) Rifle Volunteer Corps, based in Stoke-on-Trent were two of the battalions that formed part of the original regiment.
to the right of the entrance
three lions passant - from the Royal Arms of England
lion rampant - from the Royal Standard of Scotland
harp - from the Arms of Ireland
In the roundel is a potters vase
the City Gymnastics Centre, Newcastle Street, Burslem
Bing Maps - 2011
contents: 2011 photos
Dalehall in detail - Dalehall - a district of Burslem, arranged either side of Newcastle Street. Nowadays Dalehall, although preceding it in antiquity has been subsumed into the general area known as Middleport. The Burslem family were living at Burslem by the end of the 13th century. By the end of the 16th century their Burslem house was Dale Hall.
The North Staffordshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's) - Wikipedia entry