Stoke-on-Trent - photo of the week


contents: 2011 photos


click for
previous
photos

Advert of the Week
Potworks of the Week


Stoke-on-trent Workshops for the Blind, High Street East, Fenton

  • Built on the site of the former Rialto Pottery Works and operated by Stoke-on-Trent City Council.

  • Designed in the Art Deco style. 

  • The Workshops for the Blind were opened in October 1934 at a cost of of 30,000.

  • For many years they supplied products to the pottery industry.

  • In 2009 there were 44 employees. 

  • After a number of loss making years - the works were transfered in 2009 from the City Council to a new owner and renamed 'Stoke Workshop for the Blind and Disabled'.

  • In 2011 the business was closed, half of the workforce was made redundent and the a new business relaunched at the same premises as 'Stoke Disabled Employment Ltd'. 

 

 

Stoke-on-trent Workshops for the Blind, High Street East, Fenton

Stoke-on-trent Workshops for the Blind, High Street East, Fenton
built in 1934 on the site of the former Rialto pottery works
- in the 1950's High Street East & West was renamed to City Road -

photo: 1947  City of Stoke-on-Trent Official Handbook

 

 

to the left of the workshop is the 'Blind Crafts Shop'

photo: 1957  City of Stoke-on-Trent Official Handbook


1922 map showing the location of the Rialto pottery works where the Worshops for the Blind was built

1922 map showing the location of the Rialto pottery works where the Worshops for the Blind was built 

 

Google maps 2010 - Stoke-on-Trent Workshop for the Blind

Google maps 2010 - Stoke-on-Trent Workshop for the Blind
some of the street names have changed but the layout remains the same 


 

Stoke-on-trent Workshops for the Blind, High Street East, Fenton

Stoke-on-trent Workshops for the Blind, High Street East, Fenton
1937 advert

 

Stoke-on-trent Workshops for the Blind, High Street East, Fenton

Stoke-on-trent Workshops for the Blind, High Street East, Fenton
1947 advert

 

Stoke-on-trent Workshops for the Blind, 211-221 City Road, Fenton

Stoke-on-trent Workshops for the Blind, 211-221 City Road, Fenton
- in the 1950's High Street East & West was renamed to City Road -
1957 advert

 


 

 

 

photos: November 2011 

 

Art Deco frontage to the Workshops

Art Deco frontage to the Workshops

 

details of the geometric Art Deco features

details of the geometric Art Deco features

 

 

Mrs. Frank Wedgwood

City of Stoke-on-Trent
Workshops for the Blind
This Stone was Laid by
Mrs. Frank Wedgwood
on the 20th Day of November 1933
                            E. B. Sharpley

 

Alderman H. Leese J.P.

City of Stoke-on-Trent
Workshops for the Blind
This Stone was Laid by
Alderman H. Leese J.P.
on the 20th Day of November 1933

 

Gertrude E. Lambert

This Stone was Laid by
a Blind Employee
Gertrude E. Lambert
on the 20th Day of November 1933

 

George T. Smith

This Stone was Laid by
a Blind Employee
George T. Smith
on the 20th Day of November 1933

 

 


contents: 2011 photos

 


related pages 

Art Deco features in Stoke-on-Trent

More Art Deco examples


also see..

Advert of the Week
Potworks of the Week