Stoke-on-Trent - photo of the week
The Victoria Inn, Roundwell Street, Tunstall
originally Well Street and renamed to Roundwell Street in the mid 1950's
Victoria Inn sign in a tiled mosaic
mosaic inn-signs were a Parker's speciality
Victoria Guest House in Roundwell Street, Tunstall
corner of Roundwell Street and Plex Street
Founded in the 1860s, Parker's Brewery
produced beer for the pubs all around the Potteries.
Registered as Parker's Burslem Brewery Co Ltd in 1889 when it had 110 public houses; sixty years later the number had risen to 468.
A few still survive, easily identifiable by their splendid mosaic inn-signs, Parker's specialities; the former Dog & Partridge in Hot Lane, Burslem is a case in point.
Others are recognisable by even more prominent proclamations to 'Parker's Celebrated Ales' in richly coloured tile and terracotta, located high up in their gables as exemplified by the Victoria Inn, Roundwell Street, Tunstall.
Parker's suffered the same fate as many medium sized breweries in post-war years when absorbed by larger rivals, Ind Coope & Alsopp, in 1949.
Brewing ceased in 1963. Most of the brewery buildings were demolished in the 1990s.
Parkers Celebrated Ales
Roundwell Street area in 2012
Tunstall Cemetery to the top left
Well Street area in 1898
contents: 2012 photos