|Burslem Motor Club||
| index of old black and white photos |
The Great Cycle and Motor Agent
"It was well-known in the community that.. Charles, was the first man in Burslem to own a motor car"
photo showing Lycett's shop on the corner of Packhorse Lane
- click photo for more on Lycett's business at Fountain Place -
Photo: Ewart Morris Collection
family blind’s manufacturing business was founded in Burslem in 1885
by Charles Taylor Lycett who bought a section of the former Enoch Wood’s
Fountain Works and rented some rooms at the top of Packhorse Lane.
Charles Lycett was a keen sportsman; and as cycling was then gaining mass popularity he sold bicycles as a sideline from his shop overlooking St John’s Square.
Lycett's motor business, Packhorse Lane, Burslem
son, Frank Lycett, took over the running of his father’s cycle
business, extending it in 1905 to selling motorcycles.
Frank Lycett was the most often-seen driver about town if only because of his novel and popular chauffeur business which was well patronised.
The young Frank Lycett's name was often quoted by the Sentinel’s society reporters as being the young man about town, often at dinners and civic balls.
Text courtesy of Fred hughes
Burslem Motor Club
Frank Lycett at a Burslem Motor Club event
Photos courtesy of Michael Lycett