Stoke-on-Trent | Postcards of Burslem
Postcards of Burslem - St. John's Square - 1938
St. John's Square - 1938
Where Bear and Bull Baiting took place on Sunday mornings up until 1837.
In the background stands the old Fountain (donated by the potter Enoch Wood)
which was recently restored and returned to the square.
The square was called 'St. Luke's Square' in the Arnold Bennett novels.
The shop frontage bearing the sign 'Raleigh' was once the entrance to
Enoch Wood's Pot Works.
next: is Swan Square