Famous Potters of Stoke-on-Trent

Sampson Bridgwood and Son, Longton, Staffordshire c. 1853-present day

Sampson Bridgwood and Son

In about 1853 Sampson Bridgwood & Son took the Anchor Pottery at Longton.

Although the name Sampson Bridgwood (& Son) has been retained up to the present day, as early as 1879, no Bridgwood was involved with the concern.

  At that period the partners were Martha Napier, wife of George Webster Napier of Aldersley Edge, and Mary Walker, wife of Reverend James Harold Walker of Foxearth. As from January 1, 1879, Martha Napier retired, leaving Mary Walker to carry on the business of Sampson Bridgwood & Son.

Trade advertisements of the 1880's up to 1886 list 'china of the finest quality' in tea, breakfast and dessert services, trinket and dejeuner sets, plaques and wares, designed in most cases by H.J. Kane. From 1887 mention of porcelain was not included in Victorian advertisements, which concentrated on the earthenwares.

Porcelains seldom bear a mark except for the rarely-found impressed mark BRIDGWOOD & SON which can occur on porcelains.

S B & S

S Bridgwood & Son




Sampson Bridgwood Plates


Sampson Bridgwood Plates.



questions / comments? email: Steve Birks