Stoke-on-Trent - Potworks of the week


contents: 2009 photos


click for
previous
photos

 

The Sutherland Works, Normacot Road, Longton
The Sutherland Works, Normacot Road, Longton
photo: 1910 - taken from St. James Church Tower

Green line is Stone Road (now Lightwood Road)
Purple line is Normacot Road

The light blue box was a Primitive Methodist Church on the corner of Stone Road and Francis Street (now Lightwood Road and Tatton Street)

The red box is the Sutherland Institute and library.

The yellow box is the old St. James school, built in 1867 and now used as "the hothouse" - an office, studio and workshop complex.

 

 Sutherland Works range - occupied by Hudson & Middleton was originally built in 1850.

Brick originally with tiled roofs, part replaced with corrugated-iron; recently repaired following fire damage. Main range fronting street, with bottle ovens and other associated buildings in yard to rear. Main range red brick with blue brick dressings, 2-storeyed, and built in 2 phases with left-hand range of 7 bays then the lower entrance block with 6 bays each side of projecting central bay with arched entrance giving access to rear yard, and Palladian-type triple window over.

Stuccoed moulded entrance arch with pot in garland as keystone. Ground floor windows are round-arched with continuous string course forming hood moulds. Upper windows have stilted arches. Corbel table to eaves, with coping over central gable. Left-hand range possibly later, though all detailing is similar, including the stuccoed entrance archway to the right.

Within the courtyard, 3 bottle ovens are contained within rear ranges: all circular hovels with updraught ovens.


 

Sutherland Institute, Longton
Sutherland Institute, Longton

Completed in 1898 on land donated by the Duke of Sutherland who lived at nearby Trentham Hall. The building is now one of Stoke on Trent's libraries and also houses the Hothouse Project to help fledgling businesses

photo: Phil Eptlett  Feb 2006




Sutherland Works in 1910
Sutherland Works in 1910


Sutherland Works in 2006
Sutherland Works in 2006

photo:  Clive Shenton May 2006

Sutherland Works (Hudson & Middleton)
Sutherland Works (Hudson & Middleton)
the frontage of the works is on Normacot Road, the three bottle kilns are to the rear.

aerial photos: MS Virtual Earth 2008