Stoke-on-Trent - Potworks of the week
Nelson Pottery on the junction of Nelson Road and Commercial Road.
On the picture Commercial Road
to the left and Nelson Road
to the right. Nelson Road was renamed in the early 1950's to Botteslow Street.
Nelson Pottery (picture around 1893)
From: "A descriptive account
of The Potteries (illustrated)
1893 advertising and trade journal.
Page 22 Mr. Elijah Cotton, Earthenware and China Manufacturer" on the journal entry.
"Established 1758" - date mark on the pediment of the Nelson Pottery
Lord Nelson Pottery was a trade name used by
Elijah Cotton Ltd.
"The firm of Elijah Cotton Ltd. of the Nelson Pottery is and always has been identified with the manufacture of jugs, in the production of which they can undoubtedly claim to be specialists. In fact the firm's remarkable output of these more than justifies their claim to be the largest manufacturers of jugs in the world. At their extensive works jugs of all sizes and shapes are made, from miniatures with a capacity of three fluid ounces to giants of ten pints.
We should hasten to add, however, that jugs are by no means the only line produced by this successful and go-ahead concern. Its activities extend to the making of most kinds of earthenware, including tea and nursery wares and an extensive range of 'Fancies'.
He was a man of great individuality who, by his own efforts and the driving force of his strong personality, eventually became one of the leading manufacturers in the Potteries. Long before he died in 1895 his productions had earned a reputation in the markets of the world. From the first he had specialised in jugs, and the family tradition still survives.
At his father's death his eldest son, Edward Cotton became responsible for the direction of the extensive and growing firm and, at a later date, his younger brother Arthur has been associated with him in the management. The latter is still actively directing the business, assisted by his son Nigel.
During the last fifty years the factory has grown to more than three times its original size and output. A very large proportion of its products is exported, principally to Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Canada and the United States, in each of which a leading local firm is proud to represent their interests."
This article originally appeared in a 1956 book 'British Potters and Pottery Today'
the old Nelson Pottery buildings fronting Commercial Road
the old Nelson Pottery buildings fronting the Caldon canal