Stoke-on-Trent - Potworks of the week


contents: 2009 photos


click for
previous
photos

 

 

Dudson are famous for their hotel ware - always look under your cup and plate in a hotel or restaurant - you will often see the Dudson mark.

The Dudson Hope Street factory was founded in 1800 eventually closed in 1980 and all production moved to Burslem and Tunstall.



Dudson pottery works and bottle kiln, Hanley
Dudson pottery works and bottle kiln, Hanley
photo: Chris Oldham - 2007


Dudson Pottery frontage
Hope Street is to the left and York Street to the right.

Photo: Ian Bailey  - 1983
 

Bottle kiln in yard to rear of premises occupied by Dudson Bros. Ltd. Hanover Street, Hanley.

Pottery works, established on the site in the 1820's, but displaying a complex history of growth, adaptation and modification, with a major expansion in 1872.

Brick with plain tiled roofs. A complex of buildings grouped around a courtyard, with main range to Hanover Street:

2-storeyed entrance block of 3 bays with arched entry to courtyard and doorways inserted in former windows to ground floor, casement windows above. Adjoining this to the left is a further range of 5 bays, with single ring chamber heads to windows, renewed in original openings. 2 further bays beyond, a later addition. These adjoin a small house, with central blocked doorway flanked by windows now boarded, but with flat arched stuccoed heads.

Other sides of courtyard occupied by a series of brick buildings, with one long range to SE, built in 2 phases, of 6 and 7 bays.

The kiln is housed within the courtyard - a wide circular hovel, partly rendered over.

 


The Dudson factory only had one kiln
Section from 1898 OS map.

Note the tramways in Hope Street. St. Johns Church to the right still stands.
The 'Slack Field' recreational ground was home to Port Vale (one of the local football teams) - now based in Burslem.


The Dudson Hope Street factory was founded in 1800 eventually closed in 1980 and all production moved to Burslem and Tunstall.

photos: Steve Birks - Oct 1999
 


A selection of Dudson Brothers' jasper ware in the Wedgwood Style. 
The ware was made in dark blue, dark green, sage green, light blue
and brown grounds.
Reproduced from a Pottery Gazette advertisement of 1898.

Cheese Dish with Cover made by Dudson, this piece of jasperware is a pale blue or powder blue with the white relief figures around the cover. The base is 10 inches in diameter with the cover being 8 inches in diameter and 10 inches in height.

 

'

 


contents: 2009 photos