Stoke-on-Trent - Potworks of the week
Pinnox Works, Tunstall
From: "A Century of Progress
1837-1937" a publication to commemorate
The photo is taken looking
through the span of a railway mineral-line (the bridge, of which, runs
along the top of the photo) the street running to the left (between Walter
Sylvesters and the Potworks) is Williamson Street.
|1842||1860||Edward Challinor||'Godden' gives the date as c.1862-67|
|1850||1859||Podmore, Walker & Co||1856-59 Podmore, Walker & Wedgwood|
|1860||Wedgwood & Co||Head of firm: Enoch Wedgwood (no relationship to Josiah Wedgwood)|
|1903||1931||The Henry Richards Tile Co Ltd.||W & E Corn moved from the Top Bridge Works, Longport to Pinnox works and were renamed The Henry Richards Tile Co Ltd.|
|1931||Richards Tiles||In 1934 Richards Tiles also opened the purpose built Brownhills works.|
NOTE: it was common for more than one manufacture to occupy sections of the same potworks, hence the overlapping dates.
"Upon transfer to the Pinnox Works in Tunstall in 1903... "The manufacture of general earthenware was abandoned, and the new plant was devoted exclusively to the production of tiles, except for a small amount of sanitary ware made, until 1925, on behalf of the sister house of Edward Johns & Co."
From: "A Century of Progress 1837-1937" a publication to commemorate The Centenary of Richards Tiles Ltd.
"In 1911 we entered this field of floor tiles and mosaic when a new factory, adjoining the main Pinnox works, was built and brought into successful operation and, to give us complete control of the grinding of our raw materials, we acquired the Burslem Mills Company. But soon the scourge of war was to check all peaceful progress, and plans for the parent factory had to be pigeon-holed until they could be carried into effect in the early 1920's.
From: "Richards 1837 - 1953"