Stoke-on-Trent - Potworks of the week
Shaw and Copestake, Longton
Shaw & Copestake - manufacturers of SylvaC
photo: September 1960
The Lovatt Collection
The Sea Lion pub is on the
corner of Chadwick Street and Normacot Road,
on the right, behind the factories, is St. James Church
Works were founded in 1894 by William Shaw and his uncle William Copestake.
William Copestake left the partnership halfway through the first year and in 1895 Mr. Richard Hull became William Shaw's partner in the business.
The Sylvan Works, under the trade name 'Sylvac', produced an extensive range of animal models and other novelties, posy bowls, flower vases.