Stoke-on-Trent - Potworks of the week
Central Pottery, Market Place, Burslem
Bottle kiln of the Central Pottery behind the New Inn, Market Place, Burslem
[kiln and the works is now demolished]
Burslem old Town Hall and the bottle Kiln of the Central Pottery
photo: 1967 - from the Queen's Hall balcony
photo: Ken & Joan Davis
Old aerial view of the Central Works
- to the left is Liverpool Road (now Westport Road)
- to the right is Market Place and the second town hall
photo: Ewart Morris Collection
old established pottery was formerly worked successively by Hopkin &
Vernon, Hulme & Booth, Thomas Hulme, and Burgess & Leigh, who were
succeeded in 1870 by Richard Alcock, by whom the works were considerably
enlarged, rebuilt and remodelled.
Jewitt's Ceramic Art of Great Britain 1800-1900
The New Inn which is in front of the Central
Works can be seen as the white building in the bottom left of this
This public house is believed to have been constructed before 1832. It stands in the Market Place in Burslem town centre. It is a two storey building, three rooms wide by two rooms deep.
2009 view of Burslem Market Place
many of the buildings in the old photo can still be identified.
photo: MS Live Earth
Bottle kiln of the Central Pottery from Westport Road