Stoke-on-Trent - Potworks of the week
J&G Meakins Eagle
Pottery Works, Hanley
built in 1859 and demolished in 2005
now a housing estate as part of the Waterside Development
alongside the Caldon Canal from Ivy House Road to Lichfield Street
Eagle Pottery Works - built in 1859 - demolished in 2005
The Eagle pottery was bold and visionary, well in advance of its time.
Erected on the moorlands on the outskirts of Hanley
with good access by the Caldon and Trent & Mersey canals to the Mersey ports.
- running alongside the works at the top right is the Caldon Canal -
A later photograph of the Eagle works after most of the
bottle kilns have been demolished and replaced with gas fired kilns.
In the year 2000 the production of J&G Meakin ware ceased and the Eagle Pottery was given over to the production of Johnson Bros tableware - they produced until at the Eagle Pottery until 2004 when manufacturing was transferred abroad. The Eagle Pottery works were demolished in 2005.
Entrance to the Eagle Pottery Works
photos - October 1999
In the far distance is the Civic Centre -
Unity House (built in 1973, demolished in 2005/6).
In the far distance is
Unity House being prepared for demolition
Unity House is no longer
there, having been demolished in 2006