Advert of the Week
Photo of the Week
& Sons Falcon Works, Hanley
Messrs. J H Weatherby & Sons
established a small works at Tunstall in 1891.
In the following year they moved to the larger Falcon Pottery at Hanley.
Good quality earthenware tableware has been produced up to the present
The marks include the initials J H W & Sons or the name 'Weatherby'.
From Jewitt's "Ceramic
Art of Great Britain, 1800-1900"
Weatherby & Sons Falcon
Works, Hanley - 2008
no longer in
from a 1913 letterhead
Pot Bank. 1906, with
use of site established by 1891.
Brick with plain tiled
roofs. Extensive workshop ranges loosely grouped around yard.
Entrance range of 3 storeys and 23 bays, with entrance arch to the
yard towards the left of elevation, with cast-iron lintel and mosaic
lettering: "Falcon Pottery".
Blue and red brick
cambered heads to windows, and blue brick bands. This facade fronts
a rougher brickwork in side elevations, suggesting that it is
perhaps the refronting of an earlier range.
Squat bottle kiln in
courtyard, a circular hovel over downdraught oven, adjoining an
earlier range of buildings. The remains of one of the few surviving
muffle kilns in the City are also housed on this site.
The works extends back
from Old Town Street, with 8 bays in the side elevation of the
frontage range, and a further 3-storeyed range of 12 bays beyond, a
updraught oven with squat circular hovel at
Weatherby Falcon Works -
the inner kiln with the outer
hovel (which protected the kilns from the rain and weather)
broken saggers in the
photos: 'Dweeb' at 28dayslater
unfinished ware from the now
this cup was made in February 1974
Weatherby's Falcon Works
can be seen at the top left (bounded by Old Town Road)
The blue boxes show St. John's Church
on the left and
on the right the Upper Hanley pottery and Weatherby's
100 years separates these two maps - but key features can still be found
on both maps
The blue line shows the
original route of the High Street (renamed Town Road in the early 1950's)
The purple line shows the approximate
route of the redirected road when the Potteries Way was built.
Marked in green are roads which can be
found on both maps:
on the left: Union Street at the top and Lamb Street at the bottom.
on the right: Mayer Street, Hillchurch Street (was Church Street),
Glass Street and Huntbach Street (was Market Street)
In red are marked the National
Westminster Bank (was the Manchester and Liverpool District Banking
and a chapel, which later became a Spiritualist Church.
contents: 2010 photos