Stoke-on-Trent - Potworks of the week


contents: 2011 photos


click for
previous
photos

Advert of the Week
Photo of the Week

Stafford Street Works of Bishop and Stonier

Founded in 1851 under the style of Livesley, Powell and Co.

Powell and Bishop (1867 - 1878). 

Powell, Bishop and Stonier (1878 - 1891).

Mr. Powell died in 1890, and Mr. Bishop, senior, in 1891, and the firm then became Bishop and Stonier (1891 - 1939). 

Date are approximate - various sources give slightly different dates.

At one time the Company operated from three works in Stafford Street, High Street and Parliament Row - Hanley. 

 

Stafford Street Works of Bishop and Stonier - picture - 1893
Stafford Street Works of Bishop and Stonier 
picture - 1893

 

"Probably no firm in the Potteries has made more rapid progress during recent years than Messrs. Bishop and Stonier, who, commencing in a modest way in 1851, now stand, in many important departments, facile princeps in the trade.

The reason of this remarkable success is not far to seek. The firm has taken as its object the production of artistic, sound and durable goods at reasonable prices, thus catering for the million, and meeting the demands of the popular art revival of the past twenty years. While other houses have been content to travel on in the same groove, producing goods of similar patterns year after year, Messrs. Bishop and Stonier have been continually introducing artistic novelties, and these at prices which place them within the reach of all.

The history of the firm is briefly as follows: It was founded in 1851 under the style of Livesley, Powell and Co., Mr. Frederic Bishop, father of the present senior partner, Mr. James Watson Bishop, being the "Co." In 1860, Mr. Livesley went out of the partnership, and the firm assumed the style of Powell and Bishop, which, thirteen years ago, when Mr. Stonier joined, was again changed to Powell, Bishop and Stonier. Mr. Powell died in 1890, and Mr. Bishop, senior, in 1891, and the firm then assumed its present form. Mr. J. W. Bishop, the present senior partner, has now been connected with the business for more than thirty years; and by his untiring energy and well directed enterprise, has taken a leading part in bringing about the rapid development to which we have referred.

The firm have three factories, which have been considerably enlarged from time to time to meet the exigencies of their ever-increasing trade. The Stafford Street Works, where the head offices are, are utilised principally for the manufacture of all kinds of earthenware for the home and continental markets. 

We cannot specify all the items to be seen in the warehouses here, but it seems as if Messrs. Bishop and Stonier are in a position to supply the household requisites necessary to furnish either the home of the working man or the mansion of the millionaire; and we cannot help being struck with the taste displayed and the complete absence of anything like a common or inferior finish oven in their cheapest goods.

After a visit to this manufactory one can quite understand how it is that the firm have got such a strong hold upon the London market, and it is not at all to be wondered at that the larger West End houses, which are supposed to have the cream of the aristocratic trade, are the good customers of Messrs. Bishop and Stonier, which their windows and stock rooms prove them to be. In fact it is a rather remarkable thing that the trade of the Metropolis centres in the hands of a few leading firms, and competent critics can easily perceive why this firm appears in the front...'

 

Mr. J. W. Bishop
Mr. J. W. Bishop 
Mr. J. Stonier
Mr. J. Stonier 

from:
A descriptive account of The Potteries (illustrated) 
- 1893 advertising and trade journal. Page 17

 



Stafford Street Works, Stafford Street, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent
Stafford Street Works, Stafford Street, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent
1898 map

 

the same area on Google Maps - 2011
the same area on Google Maps - 2011
the street layout is very similar, especially the 'islands' at the bottom
of the map. At the top right St. John's Church is still standing.
Bishop & Stoniers works is now part of the Potteries Shopping Centre.

Debenhams department store on Stafford Street, Hanley
Debenhams department store on Stafford Street, Hanley

Originally built c.1964 by Lewis's to replace their nearby store. When opened Lewis's was the city centres largest shop. It was integrated into the 45 million Potteries Shopping Centre which opened on 1st June 1988.  The shop was taken over by Owen and Owen, closed in September 1998 and then reopened as Debenhams.

The Lewis's / Debenhams building occupies the site of the Bishop and Stonier pottery works

 


 

In 1898 there were two large pottery works on Stafford Street
In 1898 there were two large pottery works on Stafford Street
the Stafford Street Works - shown by red circle
and Dimmocks Albion Works - shown by the blue circle - 
who were on the corner of Stafford Street and Albion Street. 

 


Powell & Bishop
Powell & Bishop
Powell, Bishop and Stonier
Powell, Bishop and Stonier

This mark was registered as a trade mark by Powell, Bishop & Stonier in 1880 the mark was also used by subsequent partnerships including Bishop & Stonier.

Bishop and Stonier
Bishop and Stonier

This mark (Caduceus) was registered as a trade mark by 
Powell & Bishop in 1876 the mark was also used by 
subsequent partnerships including Bishop & Stonier.

 


contents: 2011 photos

 

 

Related pages 


Church Works, High Street, Hanley - founded c.1784, in 1866 came into the hands of Powell and Bishop.  


also see..

Advert of the Week
Photo of the Week