Stoke-on-Trent - Potworks of the week
Sutherland Pottery, Normacot Road, Longton
In 1941 the Government commandeered J H Middleton’s Bagnall Street works to store WW2 munitions so the two companies joined forces once more to become Hudson & Middleton at Sutherland Pottery. Both the Delphine and Sutherland pottery marks were retained and a H & M china mark also used.
Sutherland Works of Hudson & Middleton Ltd., Normacot Road, Longton
photo: June 2011
"Founded in 1875, Hudson and Middleton are one of the last remaining potteries manufacturing 100% of their fine bone china mugs in England"
detail of the entrance to the Sutherland Works
bottle kilns remaining at the Sutherland Works
photo: January 2003 Linden Cook
from: 1907 Staffordshire Sentinel 'Business Reference Guide to The Potteries, Newcastle & District'
The Sutherland Works, Normacot Road, Longton
photo: 1910 - taken from St. James Church Tower
St. James church - to the top is Uttoxeter Road (originally the High Street) to the bottom is Normacot Road
red = New Chelsea Porcelain Co., Ltd. (Bagnall Street)
blue = Hudson & Middleton, Ltd., Delphine Pottery (Bagnall Street)
purple = William Hudson (Normacot Road)
from 1947 Pottery Gazette & Glass Trade Review
- 37 marks the Delphine Pottery of Hudson & Middleton situated in Bagnall Street, Longton
36 New Chelsea Porcelain Co., Ltd.
37 Hudson & Middleton, Ltd., Delphine Pottery
39 Wm. Hudson
firing of a bottle kiln with coal was organised by Gladstone Museum and
took place at Hudson and Middleton
special dispensation was given by the City Council for this firing which took place in 1978
picture: Phil Rowley