Stoke-on-Trent - Potworks of the week

contents: 2011 photos

click for

Advert of the Week
Photo of the Week

Bridgwood & Son, Anchor Pottery, Wharf Street, Longton

  • Established c.1795 in Lane End at the market Street Works.

  • In 1805 the firm is listed as Samuel Bridgwood and Son, earthenware manufacturers.

  • In 1818 Maria Bridgwood and Kitty Bridgwood & Son are listed separately as earthenware manufacturers in Market Street. 

  • Later the works passed to Sampson Bridgwood who continued the business in Market Street and then in Stafford Street - the works were later demolished to make way for Longton covered market.    

  • Sampson Bridgwood then took over the Anchor Pottery (at the corner of Wharf and Goddard Street) in 1853 where bone china and later, earthenware was made. 

  • Sampson Bridgwood died in 1876.

  • The business continued although the Bridgwood family were no longer involved, in 1890 John Gerrard Aynsley took over the business - the name Bridgwood & Son continued to be used.   

  • The company became a Limited company c.1933

  • Bridgwood & Son continued until the 1990's when it was subsumed into Churchill China PLC.


Wharf Street, Longton, c.1905 

Wharf Street, Longton, c.1905 
on the right is the works of Sampson Bridgwood & Son

Photo: William Blake
© Staffordshire Past Track

Children wait patiently to pick up small lumps of coal dropped by the coal merchants. 
Once bought by a merchant then dropped in transit the coal became fair game. 
Children would hurry the coal home for use on the fire. 
Domestically, coal was used for heat, to cook and to heat water.





Sampson Bridgwood & Son at the Anchor Pottery in Goddard Street, Longton
Sampson Bridgwood & Son at the Anchor Pottery in Goddard Street, Longton

Photo: c.1960 - Lovatt Collection
© Staffordshire Past Track


Staffordshire Past Track





the Anchor Pottery at the corner of Wharf and Goddard Street
(map is combination of 1898 and 1922 maps)

Wharf street was renamed to Bridgwood Street in the mid 1950's








Sampson Bridgwood & Son, Anchor Pottery, Longton
Manufacturers of China and Earthenware
for Home, American and Colonial Markets
Specialities in badged Goods, China Tea Sets,
Earthenware Dinner, Tea and Toilet Ware


from: 1907 Staffordshire Sentinel 'Business Reference Guide to The Potteries, Newcastle & District'



Wharf Street
(15, High Street)

1 Pyatt, Fredk., labourer Shone, Wm., builder and undertaker, Wharf StreetWorks

—Here is Sutherland Road—

Wottons, Ltd. (yard), fire brick manufacturers

—Here is Bath street— 

Kettle, Thos., cycle maker & dealer

Newell, T., undertaker

—Here is Anchor Terrace—

Walters, Henry, bootmaker 

—Here is Park Hall Sreet—

—Here is Forrister Street—

 Bridgwood and  Son, china and earthenware manufacturers, Anchor Pottery 

Wood and Gregory, china & earthenware merchants, Claremont Pottery

—Here is Goddard Street West—

2 Brain, Mrs. Harriet

4 Bott, Thos., fried fish dealer 

8 Newton, Geo., potter's placer

10 Richards, Richard, potter 

—Here is Park Hall street—

Gregory, Wm., commission agents

22 Colclough, Saml., labourer 

24 Colclough, Edwin, brick-layer

28 Cope, Wm., collier

30 Evans, Evan, collier 

32 Morris, Thos., collier

—Here is Forrister Street—



from: 1907 Staffordshire Sentinel 'Business Reference Guide to The Potteries, Newcastle & District'




map from 1947 Pottery Gazette & Glass Trade Review


12 R. H. & S. L. Plant, Ltd. / Decoro Pottery Co.

13 Longton New Art Pottery Co., Ltd.

14 Dinky Art Pottery Co., Ltd.

15 British Anchor Pottery Co., Ltd.

16 Sampson Bridgwood & Son, Ltd.

17 Colclough China, Ltd.

18 John Aynsley & Sons, Ltd.

19 Paragon China, Ltd.




location of the works of Bridgwood & Son and Wood and Gregory (later Colclough China)

red area = location of the works of Bridgwood & Son and Wood and Gregory (later Colclough China)
blue circle = Aynsley Works


housing now built on the location of the pottery works


Bing Maps 




Anchor Pottery

Sampson Bridgwood & Son, who were extensive manufacturers, first carried on business in the Market Street Works, and next for many years at a manufactory in Stafford Street, originally occupied by G. Forrester, which was purchased by the Commissioners of Longton and pulled down for the erection of the market buildings. 

They then removed to the Anchor Pottery (in about 1853), where they produced both china and earthenware. In china, all the usual tea, breakfast, and dessert services were made - partly for the home, but principally for the United States and Canadian markets. 

In earthenware, white granite was made for the United States, Australian and Canadian trades. The speciality was what was technically called 'Parisian granite' (stamped 'Limoges'), which has a fine hard durable body and excellent glaze.

The nineteenth-century mark used on china was an impressed stamp of the name S. BRIDGWOOD & SON. The Parisian granite bears the impressed stamp, an oval with the word LIMOGES and, in the centre, P.G. (for Parisian granite). It also bears the printed mark of an elaborate shield of arms with mantling, sceptres, etc., and the words PORCELAIN OPAQUE,

Jewitt's: Ceramic Art of Great Britain 1800-1900



typical Bridgwood marks





contents: 2011 photos


related pages 

Lane End

external links 

Staffordshire Past Track

also see..

Advert of the Week

Photo of the Week