Stoke-on-Trent - Potworks of the week

click for

Advert of the Week
Photo of the Week

Victoria Works, (later Coronation Works), Stoke

Corner of Lonsdale Street and Cornwallis Street


  • The works were established in 1882 by James Robinson, Edward James Leadbeater & Robert Leason and operated as the Victoria Pottery Company

  • In 1883 Robert Leason Left the business. The Victoria Pottery Company continued to c.1889.  

  • From c.1887 the firm of Sandland, Bennett & Co operated at the Victoria Works, Lonsdale Street, Stoke.  The partners were William Sandland, George Bennett and Emma Gray.  They manufactured decorated earthenware for a variety of uses. 

  • July 1893 the partnership was dissolved - William Sandland and Emma Gray left the business and George Bennett continued as George Bennett and Company

  • George Bennett operated the Victoria Works, Lonsdale Street, Stoke from 1893 to 1902. He was in partnership with Henry Edward Hill - trading as "George Bennett & Co"

  • October 1907 Hill retired from the business and Bennett continued on his own.

  • The works were renamed 'Coronation Pottery' - after the coronation of Edward VII in August 1902, following the death of Queen Victoria in 1901.  

  • George Bennett sold the business c.1902 and presumably it was the new owners who renamed the business 'Coronation Pottery

  • Bennett changed his business to become an Auctioneer, Valuer and Estate Agent, specialising in Potters valuations at 87 Liverpool Road, Stoke and subsequently King's Chambers, Stoke.  He died in January 1916.

  • In 1907 the works were operated by Eli Steele & Co. (Sentinel Trade Directory

  • From 1947 'Ltd' was added - Coronation Pottery Company Ltd. 

  • At some time the business was owned by a family named 'Spares'

  • Subsequently the business was purchased by a Mr. Crow (based in London) and managed by his brother-in-law Ernest Frost - at that time a Mrs. Bowler managed the decorating shop and Arthur Forrester was the fireman. 

  • The were two bottle kilns on site which were eventually replaced by two electric kilns, 

  • In the 1960's Corronation Pottery stopped producing pottery and the premises became a cash and carry warehouse. 







The Victoria Pottery Company

"The works of this company, in Lonsdale Street, were established in 1882 by Messrs. Robinson, Leadbeater & Leason for the manufacture of the higher class of majolica and ivory or cream-coloured earthenware.

In these, they produced all of the usual varieties of useful and ornamental goods; the desert services, game-pie dishes and other articles were of more than average excellence. The firm was of very short duration."

Jewitt, Ceramic Art of Great Britain 1800-1900 





Sandland, Bennett & Co
advert 2nd June 1890

Pottery Gazette





"With this issue we publish a sheet of illustrations of the latest productions of Messrs. Sandland, Bennett, & Co., earthenware manufacturers, Victoria Works, Stoke-on-Trent. 

It will be noticed that Messrs. Sandland, Bennett, & Co. are alive to the necessity for bringing out novelties. We understand they have recently made some additions to their premises, and as they have at the same time introduced some of the latest mechanical appliances, they express their ability to execute all orders quickly."

The Pottery Gazette, April 1891 




advert for Sandland, Bennett & Co
from 1892 Keates Directory

courtesy: Staffordshire Potters, 1781-1900 R.K.Henrywood 



Bennett & Co
advert 1st November 1893

Pottery Gazette



London Gazette, 6 November 1883


notice that Robert Leason left the business
of the Victoria Pottery Company 




London Gazette, 25 August 1893 

Notice the the company of
Sandland, Bennett and Co was dissolved and
George Bennett was continuing on his own
as George Bennett & Company 




London Gazette, 15 October 1897 

notice that Henry E Hill was retiring from the partnership
and George Bennett was continuing on his own






1898 map showing the location of the Victoria Works 
to the far left is the Newcastle to Stoke canal 
between the canal and the Victoria Works is the vast Trent Potteries (later renamed the Crescent Potteries)
 of George Jones and Sons



Some of the Stoke Potteries in 1947
from: Pottery Gazette & Glass Trade Review Reference Book Directory, 1947

5 Wiltshaw & Robinson, Ltd.
6 W. T. Copeland & Sons, Ltd.
7 Mintons, Ltd.
8 Goss China Co., Ltd
9 Kirkhams
10 Biltons (1912), Ltd.
11 George Jones & Sons, Ltd., Cauldon Potteries, Ltd., and Coalport China Co., Ltd.
12 Coronation Pottery Co.



Stoke Town Centre in 1933
Stoke town centre in June 1933 
the location of the Coronation Pottery is shown in blue 

photo: Britain from Above



closer view of the Coronation Pottery on the corner of Lonsdale Street and Cornwallis Street
closer view of the Coronation Pottery on the corner of Lonsdale Street and Cornwallis Street



the two bottle kilns
the two bottle kilns




the view from the south-west
the Coronation Pottery is at the bottom right
and at the top of the photo can be seen Stoke Church 


the works in 1935 - Londale Street to the front
the works in 1935 - Lonsdale Street to the front 



the former works in 2013

picture: Bing Maps 





The former Coronation Pottery Works (earlier was the Victoria Works)
The former Coronation Pottery Works (earlier was the Victoria Works)  
photos: 2008



the courtyard had two bottle ovens which were later replaced by electric kilns
the courtyard had two bottle ovens which were later replaced by electric kilns 



the side of the works in Cornwallis Street
the side of the works in Cornwallis Street 





Eli Steel & Co
Coronation Pottery,
Lonsdale Street
Earthenware manufacturers

1907 Staffordshire Sentinel 'Business Reference Guide to The Potteries, Newcastle & District'





Related pages 

Stoke - one of the six pottery towns of Stoke-on-Trent
Victoria Pottery Company
Sandland, Bennett & Co 
George Bennett and Company
Coronation Pottery