Stoke-on-Trent - Potworks of the week



click for
previous
photos

Advert of the Week
Photo of the Week

High Street Works, Burslem

in the 1950's the High Street, Burslem was renamed Greenhead Street 


 

 

From

To

Occupier

Comments

?

1837

Hancock & Lythgoe

 

1837

1850

Edward Corn

 

1850

Aug
1850

R Hancock & Co 

The partners were Redulphus Hancock, Edward Corn, James Edge and John Lythgoe.

[From 1846-49 Redulphus Hancock had been in partnership with William Emberton as Emberton, Hancock & Co at Highgate Pottery, Brownhills, Burslem] 

Aug
1850

Oct
1850

Corn, Lythgoe & Edge

The partners were John Lythgoe, Edward Corn and James Edge
(briefly James Edge was in partnership - he retired in October 1850)

Oct
1850

1851

Lythgoe & Corn

The partners were John Lythgoe and Edward Corn 

In 1850 Edward Corn purchased works in Navigation Road and his two sons ran the Navigation Road works as W & E Corn.  

 

1852

1856

John Lythgoe 

John Lythgoe continued on his own account at the High Street Works. 

As always dates are approximate and they can overlap.

 

 


 

High Street Pottery Works from a 1851 map of Burslem
High Street Pottery Works from a 1851 map of Burslem

 map: Staffordshire Past Track

 

 


 

1877 map showing the High Street Works
1877 map showing the High Street Works 

 


 

Burslem town in 1929

photo: courtesy English Heritage - Britain from Above

 

blue outline = High Street Works (top left)

purple line =  High Street (now Greenhead Street)

light blue line = Newcastle Street

green circle = St. Joseph's RC Church

yellow circle = Town Hall

 

close up of the High Street
(running from top centre to middle left) 

 

 


 

 


the High Street, Burslem (renamed Greenhead Street)
on the right is the Foaming Quart Inn

photo: Ewart Morris collection 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

Related pages 


Burslem - one of the six towns of Stoke-on-Trent