150 years of the Shelton Works - page 9
|The presence of iron and
coal deposits, canals for water, and a good transportation route made
the positioning of the Earl's first ironworks at Shelton an obvious one.
The furnaces were designed to operate on the relatively new 'hot blast' process, invented by James Neilson in 1828.
In 1851 a wrought iron works with its attendant forges and rolling mills was built, again between Cobridge Road and Mill Street, and whilst the blast furnaces remained under the direct control of the Earl, a partnership was formed to operate the new plant under the name of The Shelton Bar Iron Company.