Redevelopment of Shelton Bar under Summers & Son
Flintshire steelmakers John Summers and
Sons Ltd. had no blast furnaces of their own, and in November 1920 took
over Shelton, which had over capacity in iron-making, with the Summers
family holding most of the equity.
Summers set about increasing iron-making capacity. Their intention was not only to feed Shelton's steel furnaces, but their own at Shotton as well.
Shelton had six old hand-charged furnaces at this time, and work on a new, larger, mechanically charged one was begun. It was blown in in May 1922, and produced as much iron as three of the older ones.
Additional new plant was built around this time, including new boilers, a new foundry, additional by-product plant, and extensions to the washery.
With re-building complete, the remaining old, blast furnace plant was scrapped. By 1924 and these new furnaces were capable of making 6,000 tons of iron a week.
This set of photos was supplied by Roy Martin who worked in the laboratory at Shelton Iron & Steel Works from 1962 to 1978.
The photos are dated from December 1922 to June 1923 and show the development of the new by-product plant.
Work begins excavating the ground in front of Etruria Hall
Josiah Wedgwood II had long since left Etruria and set up home at
Maer Hall, far away from the grime and smell of both his pottery works
and the Shelton Iron Works.
Etruria Hall became the offices of Shelton Iron & Steel Works