|Street names - the meaning and origin - Stoke-on-Trent & Newcastle|
Street names - C
[ Web Site Index ]
By 1842 the 220 acre Rushton Grange estate had passed to Lord Camoys. Shortly afterwards he began to redevelop the land on the east side of the estate next to Waterloo Road. A couple of large villas on Waterloo Rod were named Camoys Terrace.
Camoys Road was named after Lord Camoy.
The side of the Wedgwood Institute is 'Clayhanger Street' named after Arnold Bennett's novel of the same name.
In Bennett's novels the small passageway was called 'Buggs Gutter. On the 1898 map this passage is named 'Baker Street'
Named after Richard Cobden M.P. Founder of the Anti-Corn-Law League.
On the Dresden (originally 'Spratslade') Estate. Laid out by The Longton Freehold Society predominantly between 1852 and 1864 on land purchased from T. Fenton-Boughey and L. Armistead.