|Street names - the meaning and origin - Stoke-on-Trent & Newcastle|
Street names - G
[ Web Site Index ]
Originally "Grange Lane" as on the 1832 map of the area.
Grange lane was the continuation of Sneyd Street (also an ancient road - see 1775 map) to "Ruston Grange" - an estate on the opposite side of what is now Waterloo Road. Ruston Grange was in the early 13th century the property of Henry de Audley.
On an 1832 map of Burslem town this street is named 'High Street' and on the map the area just above the Overhouse Pottery and the poor house is marked "Green Head".
Named after 'Grove House' - the home of Charles Meigh the pottery manufacturer.