|Street names - the meaning and origin - Stoke-on-Trent & Newcastle|
Street names - W
[ Web Site Index ]
Was originally 'Market Street' - after the market held in Tower Square - Market Street was renamed in the early 1950's and became 'Wesley Street' - named after John Wesley, the founder of Methodism - on the corner of Wesley Street and Tower Square stands the 1821 Methodist Chapel.
Named after leading local liberal John Ayshford Wise of Clayton Hall, MP for Stafford.
On the Dresden (originally 'Spratslade') Estate. Laid out by The Longton Freehold Society predominantly between 1852 and 1864 on land purchased from T. Fenton-Boughey and L. Armistead.