Piccadilly, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent

Streets of Stoke-on-Trent |



| Index of all Hanley Streets |

Piccadilly, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent

1960's photo of Piccadilly

"In White's Directory of 1834 for Staffordshire, Hanley was described as a large modern town, the largest in the Potteries and second in Staffordshire only to Wolverhampton, its streets were spacious and well paved, its houses ere neat and some of them were, like the public edifices, elegant. Small wonder then that this capital town of the whole Fowlea Valley should name a little group of its new streets after those in London. So we have Cheapside, Piccadilly and Pall Mall."

Portrait of the Potteries p56

The main tram line from Fountain Square and Stafford Street  went down Piccadilly then Broad Street on its way to Stoke. In 2000 the area is undergoing pedestrianisation and is the heart of the City's 'Cultural Quarter' following the refurbishment and opening of the Regent Theatre in 1999.

From a descriptive account of The Potteries (illustrated), 1893 advertising and trade journal. Page 31; we know that  Mr. G. E. Nicklin, Cigar and Tobacco Merchant, operated from 20 Piccadilly, Hanley. "The premier tobacconist in the Potteries" selling a smoking mixture "Piccadilly Smoking Mixture"

on the trade journal

In 1893 a Mr. F. R. Parr, Consulting Chemist and Tobacconist,
was occupying 69 Piccadilly, Hanley

John Pepper's garages occupied 61, 63 and 65 Piccadilly for many years.

photos of Peppers in Piccadilly
photos of Peppers in Albion Street
Biography of John Pepper
Peppers Garage Group

see photos of the Peppers parts and toy departments

36 Piccadilly
36 Piccadilly

In 1893 Mr. George Scarratt, Plumber, Gasfitter and Decorator, occupied number 36 Piccadilly, Hanley. The family business had operated in Hanley from 1791.

on George Scarratt


1960's photo of Piccadilly



Listed Buildings

Did you live in this street or area? 
questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks