Fleming Road, Stoke,
Streets of Stoke-on-Trent | Fleming Road |
| Index of all Stoke Streets |
| Street Map of this area |
On the 1898 OS map Fleming road did not exist it was a roadway into the Minton works (which was much bigger than it is now), the roadway passed over the Newcastle-under-Lyme canal which flowed through the works.
On the three sides of the base are the following inscriptions:
'Colin Minton Campbell, born August 27th 1827, died February 8th 1885'.
'A successful manufacturer, a leading townsman and generous friend'.
'High Sheriff 1869, Member of Parliament for North Staffordshire 1874 to 1887, Thrice Lord Mayor of Stoke 1880-1883.'
Soon afterward the death of Colin Minton Campbell it was proposed that a statute should be erected to mark the contribution he had made to the town and the Staffordshire Potteries. The money was raised by public subscription "from artisans as well as those in better circumstances" which testified to his popularity.
Mr T Brock was engaged to design the statute. It was described in a contemporary newspaper report as "made of bronze, eight feet in height, and is erected upon a pedestal of grey Cornish granite nine feet high. It represents Mr Campbell standing bare-headed in ordinary dress, his right hand upon a tazza, which is supported on an enriched tripod, having storks at the angles and floral decorations in the panels, indicative of his connection with pottery."
The statue was unveiled by the Duchess of Sutherland at a public ceremony in January 1887. The statue was originally in Campbell Place, but it was moved in 1954 this site.
photos June 2000
Did you live in this street or
questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks