Kirkham Street, Stoke, Stoke-on-Trent

Streets of Stoke-on-Trent |
Kirkham Street |



| Index of all Stoke Streets |

| Street Map of this area |

Kirkham Street, Stoke, Stoke-on-Trent


This street is named after William Kirkham a pottery manufacturer and mayor of Stoke upon Trent from 1890-3. 


Mr. Ald. W. Kirkham, J.P.  (Mayor of Stoke)


Biography of 
William Kirkham


In 1856, a valuable mine of red clay having been found on the London Road, a manufactory of floor, roof and ridge-tiles, etc., was commenced and was purchased by William Kirkham who, in 1862, built a manufactory for the production of terra-cotta and general earthenware for the home and foreign markets. Kirkham Street is on the boundary of these works. 

Bank House in the short cul-de-sac of Kirkham Street
Bank House in the short cul-de-sac of Kirkham Street

Kirkham Street (off London Road) is bordered on both sides by the Portmeirion pottery works. 
On the 1898 OS map there was a Baptist Chapel in this street.


photos June 2000




Listed Buildings

Did you live in this street or area? 
questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks