back to "The Grand Tour" index

Neville Malkin's "Grand Tour" of the Potteries

buildings outlying Longton
 


next: The Alhambra Cinema, Normacot
previous: Park Keeper Lodge, Longton Park
contents: index of buildings outlying Longton


No 108 -  Longton Cottage Hospital

Postcard of The Cottage Hospital - Longton
Postcard of The Cottage Hospital - Longton
postcard : Peter Maleczek (flickr) 

The original Longton Cottage Hospital was built in 1868 on Mount Pleasant (now Lawley Street). In 1879 it moved to a new building on the north side of the same street. 

In 1889-90 it was replaced by a new Cottage Hospital in Upper Belgrave Road (shown in the postcard above) - built on on land given by the Duke of Sutherland.

The old hospital was later used by Mount Pleasant Mission Chapel 
and social hall until about 1939, and demolished in 1961.

 

 

Longton Cottage Hospital
Longton Cottage Hospital
pen drawing by Neville Malkin - August 1974


Longton Cottage Hospital - view from Ramage Grove
Longton Cottage Hospital - view from Ramage Grove
photo: 2010

 

 

"In the mid-19th century many diseases were rife in the rapidly-expanding Potteries, and no town more affected than Longton. 

The building of houses to accommodate workers and their families accelerated to an alarming degree. Sanitation was deplorable; as many as 13 overcrowded homes shared one lavatory and one tap. Such terrifying diseases as smallpox, scarlet fever, typhus and diptheria prevailed. 

During April, 1871, out of 80 births recorded there were 74 deaths. Dreadful deformities developed through the poor diet and disgraceful working conditions.

The nearest hospital at this time was Etruria; Hansom cabs used to convey patients were subject to a 5 fine if not properly disinfected. In the 1860s the Rev. Adam Clarke, Rector of Longton, established an "invalid kitchen", and, accompanied by Nurse Field, visited the homes of the sick and poor, taking food, bedding and various other articles to help alleviate hardship and suffering.

Through the untiring efforts of these two commendable people the first Longton Cottage Hospital was built in 1868 at Mount Pleasant, with Nurse Field responsible for most of the nursing under Dr. Arlidge, consultant physician. For several years, through the devotion of the Rev. Clarke and the generosity of benefactors like Sir Smith Child, the hospital continued its good work.

But a bigger and properly-equipped building was urgently required. A sale of work at the Market Hall in 1887 raised over 1,000 towards a new hospital. For this purpose a site in Normacot was given by the Duke of Sutherland, and the total cost came from voluntary subscriptions. The cornerstone was laid by Sir Smith Child in 1889, and the new Cottage Hospital opened by Mrs. Adam Clarke on September 25th, 1890."

28th August 1974

 

 

 

 

 



next: The Alhambra Cinema, Normacot
previous: Park Keeper Lodge, Longton Park
contents: index of buildings outlying Longton


 

 

 

 

 

Related Pages


Views of Longton Cottage Hospital - Normacot in Pictures