At the bottom of
Bournes Bank the kilns of Acme Marls
1955 advert for Acme
"Like so many firms,
Acme Marls Limited sprung from a very humble beginning. In 1933, Major
W. M. Lovatt and Lt,-Col. J. W. A. Lovatt were members of Messrs.
Grose & Stocker Limited, for whom the latter had started up a small
works employing some six people making special refractory mixtures.
This business was purchased by them, and so Acme Marls Limited was
As the business grew,
the potential of fired refractory goods was realised, if capital could
be found. An agreement with Messrs. Minton Limited to produce fired
articles for the company, however solved this problem. In 1927 further
output was required and a small factory in Burslem was also purchased.
With their own works
available for fired goods ad the development in tunnel ovens in the
pottery industry, their thoughts turned to high-grade refractory
furniture for use in them, and research work was started with the
object of producing suitable furniture which was as thin as possible.
From that day the company has steadily forged ahead, despite the war
years, until today they count among their friends, not only many of
the users of high-grade refractories in this country, but also
throughout the world."
1955 trade journal
entry for Acme Marls Limited, Burslem
bottle kilns at Acme Marls, Burslem
photo: Feb 2008