Master Potters in Georgian Burslem (1714-1837)
The Church Yard Works & St. John's Church, Burslem
Location 18 on the index map
The illustration above shows the house and works in front of St John's Church.
The church is shown with a thatch roof.
The Churchyard House on the south-east side of St John's churchyard was originally the property of the Shaw family.
Thomas Wedgwood of the Overhouse acquired the site when he married Margaret, the daughter and heiress of John Shaw. Shortly before his death in 1679 he built the Churchyard Works as a replacement for a pottery he had been working since at least 1657. Josiah Wedgwood, his great grandson was born in the House in 1730.
The illustration above shows the house and works in front of St John's Church. It was a drawing made from memory for Eliza Meteyard's Life of Josiah Wedgwood (1866) (so it should be treated with caution, the relationship between the lane, the house and the church is not quite in line with the 1740 map)
St John's Church taken from the approximate
location of the grounds of The Church Yard Works.
next is Navigation Road - and the end of this tour!
questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks