|A walk around
Dresden, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent
Dresden & the Longton Freehold Land Society
location 10 on the map |tour map|
52 Ricardo Street
photos: June 2001
Holly House, No 52 Ricardo Street (now No 54), on the opposite side of the road to Dresden House, was built in 1857 for Thomas Poole Burrows, a grocer. He was the son of George and Sarah Burrows and was baptised at Bucknall on 15 May 1814.
At the time of the 1851 census he was living with his older brother, John Burrows, at No 36 Market Street, Longton, where they ran a substantial grocery business which employed at least three male assistants who lived with the family. Shortly afterwards Thomas got married and his first two children were born in Longton.
In the mid 1850s he acquired two plots on the south side of Ricardo Street (No 3 & 4) where he built a large two-storey detached house in 1857. The date of construction is commemorated by a date stone "T.P.B. 1867” over the rear entrance to the house. The house has a simple façade facing Ricardo Street embellishment by a columned porch over the front door.
The 1861 census shows the occupiers of the house were:
Marr | Age
|Thomas B Burrows||Married 46||Head||Staffs, Stoke||Grocer|
|Cecilia S Burrows||Married 35||Wife||Staffs, Stoke|
|Sarah P Burrows||Single 8||Dau||Staffs, Longton||Scholar|
|Annie Burrows||Single 5||Dau||Staffs, Longton||Scholar|
|John Burrows||Single 2||Son||Staffs, Dresden|
|Ellen Wood||Single 28||Srvnt||Staffs, Cobridge||House Servant|
By 1881 Thomas Burrows, aged 66, was a widower and had retired from his grocery business. He was still resident in the house in 1891:
The 1891 census:
Marr | Age
|Thomas P Burrows||Widower 76||Head||Staffs, Bucknall||Retired Grocer|
|Sarah B Burrows||Single 38||Dau||Staffs, Longton|
|Annie Burrows||Single 35||Dau||Staffs, Longton|
|Cecily Burrows||Single 25||Dau||Staffs, Dresden|
|Annie E Mellsted||Single 18||Srvnt||Goucestershire||General Servant|
Thomas Burrows died shortly afterwards and Kelly’s Directory of 1896 lists the occupier of Holly House as “Miss Burrows", presumably one of his unmarried daughters.
In the early years of the 20th century the house was occupied by Alfred Dewes, pottery manufacturer, of the firm of Dewes and Copestake, at the Viaduct Works, Caroline Street, Longton.
By 1907 he had been succeeded at Holly House by William Breton, a solicitor, who was still in occupation in 1914.
previous: 53 Ricardo Street
next: 69 Ricardo Street