|A walk around
Dresden, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent
Dresden & the Longton Freehold Land Society
location 6 on the map |tour map|
Carlise Street - The Princess Royal
photos: June 2001
Much more successful than the Sutherland Arms was the Princess Royal on the other side of the road (No 34) which had a full license. This public house was opened by William Watkins in the late 1850s and his household was recorded in the 1871 census returns.
This building also had the advantage of a large garden where customers could sit outside when the weather permitted. The public house can be found on the 1878 Ordnance Survey map of Carlise Street.
previous: Co-op on Carlise Street
next: Villiers Street