|A walk around
Dresden, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent
Dresden & the Longton Freehold Land Society
THE DRESDEN BOARD OF HEALTH
The development of the estate and the construction of new houses was initially carried out without any external supervision. However within 12 years of the establishment of Dresden it was dear that some form of regulation was required in order to deal with communal problems.
In 1863 it was agreed to set up a local board of health to administer the estate.
A local board was formed consisting of 12 members with a comparatively high property qualification which ensured that control of the board effectively lay in the hands of the residents of the larger houses.
The reports in the minute book show that the board deal with a range of problems:
In 1863 they secured a post office for the district; arranged the removal of night soil free of charge by local farmers, and began the process of curbing and channelling the streets starting with Ricardo Street (where most members lived). In the following year streets were provided with name plates and houses numbered. In 1866 they approved and printed a set of local bye-laws which stipulated that they had to approve plans of houses before construction. In the following year they requested a second police officer for the district, took action against the keeping of pigs in Dresden, and had 20 gas lamps erected with the gas supplied by the Longton Gas Company. When there was an outbreak of smallpox in 1871 they issued lime and brushes and infected houses were cleansed a people were inoculated against the disease. Some indication of their political beliefs is provided by the fact that they supported the petition to Parliament from the National Society of Women’s Suffrage in 1873. They employed three officers: a clerk, a surveyor and an inspector of nuisances. In 1873 they also began to employ a bailiff to levy distress warrants to recover unpaid rates. In 1884, despite the opposition of the Duke of Sutherland, Dresden along with Florence and Normacot were incorporated into the Borough of Longton.