Josiah Spode II (1754-1827) and The Mount Estate (Penkhull)
Location 13 on
the index map
After viewing the Primitive Methodist chapel if we turn around the church of St. Thomas stands in the centre of Penkhull.
In 1840 it was the Minton family which took the initiative to replace the school with a new church.
This was designed, like Hartshill church, by George Gilbert Scott (). However shortage of money meant that it was a much plainer structure built with poorer quality stone. It was consecrated on 10 October 1842 and later on that year it was announced that Samuel Minton, son of Rev Thomas Webb Minton, was to be the first incumbent.
The Ordnance Survey map here shows the site of the church in 1877.
Church of St. Thomas
some graves in St. Thomas's church yard
previous: was the Primitive Methodist chapel
questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks