Josiah Spode II (1754-1827) and The Mount Estate (Penkhull)
Location 3 on
the index map
At the end of the drive we find the large imposing building 'The Mount' - heavily built onto when used as a school for the blind and deaf (now -2000- just used for the deaf)
"The Mount" was built c.1803-4.
The house was described by John Ward c.1840 as follows:
'Of the mansions within the Township of Penkhull, (we may say, indeed, within the compass of the Borough,) "THE MOUNT," erected by the late Josiah Spode, Esq., bears acknowledged pre-eminence. It stands near the village, and is surrounded by plantations and a highly-ornamental domain. The house is an oblong building of stone, with a semi-circular entrance on the west front; an elegant and lofty dome, which lights the staircase, gives an exterior air of grandeur to the structure."
Even today, the house is an imposing structure which was built to impress upon all visitors the commercial success, wealth and status of its owner. It is built mainly of brick with stone used to emphasise its architectural features.
The Mount - home of Josiah Spode
Centre is the Vestibule.
Now a listed building
To the right can be seen the extensions
added for use as a school
Additional notes and maps related to the Mount
Description of the new house "The Mount" - built 1803-4 The ground floor plan of The Mount 'To Let' advert in 1838 newspaper - placed by Mary Spode, the widow of Josiah Spode III The furnishings in The Mount Entertainment at The Mount 50th Anniversary of King George III - Newspaper report (1809) of the celebration at the Mount.
quarters of The Lodge
previous: was the location of the carriageway to The Lodge
questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks