Waterways of Stoke-on-Trent - Burslem
| Burslem Branch Canal Index |
Newport House and Pottery Works
|"NEW-PORT is the
residence of Mr. Walter Daniel, whose elegant seat and manufactory,
compose the whole of this place. The grounds around it are laid out with
great taste, and the prospects it commands are not exceeded in the
Pottery. It is situated on the canal between Long-port and
J. Allbut, The Staffordshire Pottery Directory, 1802
"NEWPORT HOUSE AND EARTHENWARE MANUFACTORY, NEAR BURSLEM, STAFFORDSHIRE
TO BE LET, the above eligible FAMILY RESIDENCE, called Newport House, late in the occupation of Joseph Alcock Esq., with the stables, coach houses, gardens, plantations, and pleasure grounds belonging thereto, and id required, a few acres of ACCOMMODATION LAND adjoining.
Also, that well-arranged and exclusive EARTHENWARE MANUFACTORY, with six ovens, called Newport Works, conveniently situated on the banks of the Trent and Mersey Canal, and near to Newport House, now in the occupation of Messrs William Davenport and Company.
The immediate possession of both House and Works may be had if required. Apply to Mr. JOSEPH SHIRLEY, Longport; or to Messrs WARD & SON, Solicitors, Newcastle".
The Staffordshire Advertiser, 10th January 1857
The Newport Pottery
Jewitt's Ceramic Art of Great Britian 1800-1900
After Edge, Malkin & Co the Newport Pottery was taken by S.W. Dean (1904-10) and then Deans (1910) Ltd from 1910-19.
1878 OS map of Newport
1851 census details for Newport House and Lane
| Burslem Branch Canal Index | aerial photo and map of the canal area |