where is it? test your knowledge of Stoke-on-Trent
St. Augustine's, Cobridge
St. Augustine's, Cobridge Road, Cobridge
originally the Little Sisters of The Poor
|The Little Sisters of
the Poor, after two years at Druid's Hall, Albion Street, Hanley, moved
in 1892 to Cobridge House in Cobridge Road, the home of the Hales family
in the 18th and 19th centuries. The nuns bought the house in 1899 and
replaced it by the St. Augustine's Home, built in 1902–3 and extended
in 1911 - it became accommodation for about 100 old people at the home.
In January 1994 it was approved to be used as a nursing home and from June 1999 used for a number of years as a hostel for refugees and asylum seekers.
The building was demolished in 2008/9 and replaced with this 33 bedroom, purpose built care home.
St. Augustine's can be seen for miles around - this view from the Festival Park, Etruria
in the foreground are the alotments at Cobridge
this view through a telephoto lens - taken from Town Road, Hanley
Little Sister's of the Poor - from 'A Grand Tour' of The Potteries