Sylvester Pottery, Burslem
In Nile Street, formerly belonging to Charles G. Baker, the Sylvester Pottery passed by purchase in 1876 to the firm of Holmes, Plant & Madew who, in addition to ironstone china and porcelain, produced door-furniture and brass foundersí sundries in china. The mark is the initials "H. P. & M." Messrs. Holmes, Plant & Madew were succeeded in 1886 by Holmes & Plant (also listed as Holmes, Plant & Co.). The works were subsequently made part of Doultonís Nile Street factory."
Jewitt's 'Ceramic Art of Great Britain 1800-1900'
|?||1876||Charles G. Baker|
|1876||1885||Holmes, Plant & Madew||purchased works from Baker|
|1886||?||Holmes & Plant|
Pottery manufacturers on Nile Street,
Burslem from 1898 OS map
|Works marked in blue are those of Doulton
The works outlined in green were those of Holmes, Plant & Madew (subsequently Holmes & Plant) - these works were on the corner of Nile Street and fronted Sylvester Street. Later these works were made part of Doul tonís Nile Street factory