Fenton Pottery, Fenton

From To Occupier Comments
1825 1849 C J & G M Mason The works of C. J. Mason & Co., says John Ward, in 1843, 'standing obliquely to two turnpike-roads, and on the line of the Canal Company's railway, present an extensive front of four stories in height, inscribed in large letters "Patent Ironstone China Manufactory"
1949 1862 Samuel Boyle  
1862 1891 Edward & Charles Challinor In 1887 also as Challinor & Mayer
1892 1896 Charles Challinor & Co  


Fenton Pottery
Fenton Pottery

Victoria Square, Fenton c.1915

the pottery works (Fenton Pottery) on the right was established in 1825 by the Mason brothers for the manufacture of their famous Ironstone China.
In 1849 the works were taken over by Samuel Boyle and in 1862 by E & C Challinor

On the left are the houses William Meath Baker built - the public urinal in front.
In the centre of the picture is a drinking fountain presented by  William Baker
[this in now in Fenton Park]

tramlines can be seen in the foreground


1898 OS map of Victoria Place
Victoria Place was at the junction of Victoria (New) Road,
High Street East and Market Street

Fenton Pottery and the 'Stilt and Spur Works' on the map were owned by Charles Challinor


1898 OS map of the area around Fenton potteries

Fenton (Glebe) collieries Ltd. (1865-1964)
The Glebe Collieries and Brick Works can be seen
on the above map - this colliery was owned by Charles Challinor


7 Jan 2007