Trent Pottery, Eastwood, Hanley
"Established at Eastwood in 1867 by Livesley & Davis, the style was, on the retirement of Mr. Livesley in 1871, changed to J H & J Davis. In 1875 J Davis retired and the concern was carried on by J H Davis alone until 1891.
Until about 1870, the productions were confined to white granite-ware for the United States, but dinner, toilet, and tea services, and other articles, both for the home and foreign markets were later added. He was also an extensive maker of sanitary ware.
Jewitt's "Ceramic Art of Great Britain, 1800-1900"
|1867||1871||Livesley & Davis||Mr. Livesley retired in 1871|
|1871||1875||J H & J Davis||J Davis retired in 1875|
|1875||1891||J H Davis||
John Heath Davis continued the business intil 1891.
in 1881 the business employed 130 men, 40 women and 30 children
J H Davis lived at The Cottage in Well Street - just a few minutes walk from the factory.
behind the Westwood Mill of George Goodwin can be seen the
bottle kilns of the Trent Pottery, established in 1867 by Livesley & Davis
to the left is the Electric Light Works
top right corner of this 1898 map the canal enters the Joiners Square area and passes under Lichfield Street
the Trent Pottery Works is marked in purple
George Goodwin's flint mill is
marked in blue
the Electric Works is marked in red
questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks