Washington Works
College Road, Shelton (Hanley), Stoke-on-Trent

NOTE: There was another factory called 'Washington Works' in Burslem.

From To Occupier Comments
1882 1910 Wardle & Co Wardle & Co were in business from 1871 at works in William Street - it was in 1882 that they moved to the newly built Washington Works.
In 1910 the company was taken over by J A Robinson & Sons Ltd. The name changed to Wardle Art Pottery and the business was moved to the Wolf Street Works in Stoke.     
1917 c.1946 Swinnertons In 1917 Swinnertons acquired the Washington Pottery.
1946 1970 Washington Pottery  
1970 1973 English Ironstone Pottery Ltd  
1973 1994 English Ironstone Tableware Ltd In 1994 English Ironstone Tableware went into receivership 
1994 2001 Just Mugs Ltd Just Mugs Ltd acquired the mug-making side of English Ironstone Tableware and operated at the Washington Pottery until 2001 when they relocated to Longton. 



Wardle & Co
Washington Works, Victoria Road, Hanley

Manufacturer of Superior Majolica, Green Glaze, &c.
for the American and other foreign markets

Pottery Gazette,  January 1885

"Messrs. Wardle & Co. having established their reputation for Barbestine (Flowered) Ware throughout the World, the work being at once useful and artistic, and prices moderate, they have now added to their branches Pierced Vases and Flower Pots, and Bright Glazed Unpierced ART POTS. As the finish is admitted to be superior to their past productions, and prices equally low, Messers. Wardle & Co. invite inspection either at their works or their London Show Rooms. They are also now prepared to supply Chamber Ware on a pure Ivory Body in Prints, Gilt or Enamelled, at prices to suit all Markets. They are Makers of a large assortment of Jugs, Teaports, Sugars, Creams, Teas, Bread Trays, Cheese Stands, Butters, Salad Bowls, Spills, Smoke Sets, Cruets, Umbrella Stands, &c." 



Just Mugs at the Washington Works - just prior to demolition in March 2009
The original 1880's works are to the far right and the 1950-70's development to the front & left

photo: Stoke-on-Trent Archaeology Department


The original 1882 Washington Works
The entrance somewhat altered in the 1970's 



1925 map showing the Washington Works on Victoria Road

Blue - Washington Works of Wardle & Co
Red - Cleveland Works of William Bennett
Green - Atlas Works of Gosling & Gatensbury 

at the top is St. Mark's Church 


Blue - Washington Works 
light blue - extension to Washington Works (1950-1970)
Red - Cleveland Works 
Green - Atlas Works 

In front of the works is College Road (originally Victoria Road)
at the top right is St. Mark's Church


Atlas works is to the right, Cleveland Works in the centre and Washington Works to the left  

Bing Maps



the frontage of the three works on College Road 

photo: Feb 2008


Atlas works is to the right, Cleveland Works in the centre and Washington Works to the left  


Questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks